Thursday, June 3, 2010

teen dies from bacterial meningitis

14 year old boy dies from bacterial meningitis.

One day he was like everyone else and competed in a track meet and two days later he was rushed to the ER. He died five days later from bacterial meningitis. His body couldn't fight the damages the short lived infection caused.

Fundraisers are being held to pay for the medical expenses and the funeral expenses.

The family advises other families to get their children vaccinated against meningitis.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

High school has bacterial meningitis

A 16 year old student at a Long Island high school is suffering from bacterial meningitis. Two years ago another student died from meningitis at the very same high school.

Meningococcal disease is a bacterial infection of the bloodstream or a thin lining covering the brain and spinal cord caused by the meningococcus germ. The disease is spread by direct close contact with nose or throat discharges of an infected person such as a classroom.

The student was being treated at the hospital and school officials are trying to get in touch with other students who made have been in close contact with the sick student. Others will need to get preventative treatment.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Getting nosy about MRSA

Getting nosy about MRSA

According to researchers at a Rhode Island Hospital, in the United States approximately 1% of the population carries some type of MRSA around in their noses. In a sample of 2,055 people, researchers found MRSA in the noses of 20% of long-term elder care patients. Outpatient and inpatient kidney dialysis patients and HIV patients also carried MRSA in their noses.

MRSA in the nose has been associated with increased rates of MRSA-related pneumonia, bloodstream infections, and surgical site infection.

More research is necessary to determine why a certain segment of the population has MRSA up the nose.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Death by bacterial meningitis

College student dies from bacterial meningitis.

Parents of college students might worry about bad grades, date rape, and excessive drinking but now add bacterial meningitis to the list.

Students, teachers, and parents as well as the community are shocked and alarmed about the death of a college student who died from bacterial meningitis.

Health officials are urging students to seek medical attention if they show symptoms of the disease, which are similar to the flu. Symptoms include being very fatigued, severe headache, and fever.

Bacterial meningitis is spread through nasal and throat secretions but is not very contagious say doctors. If you are sitting in the same room with the person you are really not at any significant risk but if you had intense personal contact, such as sharing utensils, kissing, or living with the person then you are at risk.

This is the second meningitis related death on this particular campus in 10 years. Research indicates that college students are at a higher risk for the disease because they live in crowded apartments or dorms, and share personal property.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A small community is devastated by the deaths of two school children who died suddenly of meningitis. Both children ages 9 and 7 went to school feeling fine, contracted fevers by midday, were sent home, developed rashes, and were dead by the next day.

Four other children are currently hospitalized, a 6-year old boy is fighting for his life and is completely unrecognizable because his skin is so discolored.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Doctors Misdiagnose Fatal Meningitis Symptoms

A toddler died of meningitis after doctors failed to properly diagnose a temperature and rash as meningitis and instead erroneously diagnosed an ear infection.

The toddler was sent home from the hospital and within hours she developed bruise-like rashes in her eyes and on her head that did not vanish under a glass – a classic meningitis symptom.

By the time she she was rushed back to the hospital she was covered in black bruises and her body had swelled. She died of meningitis and septicaemia just four hours after being transferred to another hospital.

Her parents are suing the hospital for medical malpractice and meningitis misdiagnosis.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Boy Dies from Bacterial Meningitis

Boy Dies from Bacterial Meningitis

Students in one New York County are being asked to get meningitis vaccinations after a 10-year-old boy died recently from bacterial meningitis.

A 6-year-old girl in the same county was also diagnosed with a meningitis infection, was hospitalized, and then later released to recuperate at home.

Meningitis vaccinations are being recommended to prevent the further spread of disease.

It is has not been released whether the two meningitis patients went to the same school. Children and adults who had close contact with the two patients have been treated with antibiotices.

County officials have not released whether or not the two patients went to the same school.

The meningococcal vaccine protects against four of the five major meningococcal serotypes, including the Type C variety responsible for the two cases in Tehama County.

The state is recommending that children 2-years and older receive this meningitis vaccine and that children older than 11 not receive the vaccine.

According to Public Health, persons are at increased risk of contracting meningitis if they are in close contact with someone with meningococcal disease. Contact means living with, working with, or having intimate contact with the infected person by sharing oral secretions, such as kissing, sharing foods, drinks, water bottles, cigarettes, lipstick.

Meningitis is frequently not diagnosed properly and dismissed as a common cold or flu -- and then it's too late.