Saturday, January 30, 2010

Boy Dies from Bacterial Meningitis

Boy Dies from Bacterial Meningitis

Students in one New York County are being asked to get meningitis vaccinations after a 10-year-old boy died recently from bacterial meningitis.

A 6-year-old girl in the same county was also diagnosed with a meningitis infection, was hospitalized, and then later released to recuperate at home.

Meningitis vaccinations are being recommended to prevent the further spread of disease.

It is has not been released whether the two meningitis patients went to the same school. Children and adults who had close contact with the two patients have been treated with antibiotices.

County officials have not released whether or not the two patients went to the same school.

The meningococcal vaccine protects against four of the five major meningococcal serotypes, including the Type C variety responsible for the two cases in Tehama County.

The state is recommending that children 2-years and older receive this meningitis vaccine and that children older than 11 not receive the vaccine.

According to Public Health, persons are at increased risk of contracting meningitis if they are in close contact with someone with meningococcal disease. Contact means living with, working with, or having intimate contact with the infected person by sharing oral secretions, such as kissing, sharing foods, drinks, water bottles, cigarettes, lipstick.

Meningitis is frequently not diagnosed properly and dismissed as a common cold or flu -- and then it's too late.

No comments: